Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I'm Not Very Good At This

So much for keeping this updated somewhat regularly

Last Saturday I went for the coolest hike of my life. Me and a few others took the Bayern regional train out to Kochel. We then took a bus to the base of Herzogstand Mountain. It was a pretty steep mountain and I think it was around 5500 feet, but it wasn't too bad and the weather was nice. At the peak of Herzogstand we relaxed and took some photos and ate some food that one of the guys we were with brought. When we were on top on that mountain the clouds rolled in within 2 minutes we went from miles of visibility to about 20 feet, it was pretty cool. Here are the pictures.



Those two photos were taken by me standing in the same exact spot looking in the same direction within two minutes of each other. It was pretty cool.

Actual view from the top

Thats part of the long path we took getting to the top
of Herzogstand, complete with the thing that goes around your wrist

From the top of Herzogstand we walked along a ridge that connected to the peak of another mountain called Heimgarten which was about 6000 feet. The ridge was pretty narrow at some points, about 3 feet wide, and there were some plaques for people who had actually died walking across it. But those were mostly for people who decided to not stay on the trail, which we did, so it was safe.




The three above photos is what the ridge looked like when we were walking it. I thought it was cool how the clouds were just stuck on one side of the peak and couldnt get over. Below is what the path looked like when we finished it and got to the peak of Heimgarten.

The tan line is the path that you walk. The tall peak in the middle is Herzogstand, the first peak that we were at. 

From the top of Heimgarten you could see this body of water, which unfortunately you cannot see in the photo but it was very blue.

From the top of Heimgarten you begin the long descent down the other side of the Mountain towards the city of Ohlstadt, which is actually pretty far from Kochel. I was really relieved when we were finally able to get back on the train and sit and relax. I remember I went to bed aaround 1am and didnt get out of 2pm the next day. I wasn't sore just physically tired. The hike was difficult, but not hopelessly so, and I had a lot of fun with the other people I was with, and the view from the top was amazing. 

This is the group I went with. Front to back Helen, Catie, Me, Ayhan (who volunteers for JYM), Mitch, and Dallas. Photo was taken by Josh

Left to Right: Catie, Josh, Me, Mitch on top of Herzogstand

Here are some artsy photos (Featuring foggy crosses)




This one is super artsy. Could probably be in Bates Art Museum

Whoa

So that was that exciting trip. Besides that its just been class and shopping and other boring stuff like that. The good news is that this changes soon. 

In 14 hours I will be on a plane to Krakow. Tomorrow and Friday I will be in Krakow and Saturday and Sunday I will be at Auschwitz. This is all part of the Auschwitz Jewish Center for Students Abroad program that I got accepted to. It seems like a really good program. I will of course take a lot of pictures there (but definitely no selfies) and post them on the blog that I write here about it.

Sorry this blog wasn't exciting. You were probably expecting more since I haven't posted in almost two weeks. Oh well. It happens. Goodbye.







2 comments:

  1. Jake, I love your blog and always look forward to seeing the amazing pictures and hearing your voice when I read your message (it's a Mom thing)! Wishing you a memorable, inspiring journey in Krakow and Auschwitz. Looking forward to more blogs. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that hike looks amazing! Not sure I would have enjoyed it, do you still hear me saying "you are too close to the edge"? Love the pictures of the cross, so inspiring and unique!

      Delete