Wednesday, June 24, 2015

General Life and Stustaculum

So now time for a narrative on my general life in Munich lately.

I had forgot to write about this, because it was so long ago and so much has been happening, but Mr Levesque and Colby Roy were leading a class trip for the high school and they actually stopped in Munich, so I got to meet up with them, which was really cool. On a Monday I ran into them on Marienplatz and so Levesque and I went a grabbed a beer at Hofbräuhaus. The next night I took him to this thing called Frühlingsfest,which is basically just like Oktoberfest, only in April and smaller, and not as many tourists. Bayern Munich was playing in the Champions League Playoffs against Portugal, so we got to watch that game in the Augustiner tent, over beers, which was absolutely amazing. Bayern won 6-1 if I remember correctly, and the place was a mad house. It was so cool.
Some friends and I at Frühlingsfest
Left side front to back: Julia, Blake, Eva, Libby, Me
Right side front to back: Gabriel, Ben, Julissa, Allister, Cam
Cam and I are the only old JYMers in this photo, which I just noticed

So yea Frühlingsfest is a good time and it was cool seeing Levesque and Colby.

We have also been doing a lot of sitting around in the English Garden and tanning on the Eisbach, which is a part of the Isar. Basically people bring sports balls, frisbees, food, and beer and we just sit on the river and tan, swim, play, eat, and drink. It has been a lot of fun. I bought this blanket that is just a giant American flag, just to spite the Germans.

Dallas, me and Josh on the riverbank

In the river
Left to right: Libby, Me, Josh, Dallas, Blake, and Tim

As you can tell, you can just stand in the river. The current is also strong enough where you can just lay down in the water and float downstream and eventually get out again. It is a lot of fun and makes for a relaxing day.

The same weekend those photos were taken was this event called Stustaculum. Stustaculum is basically a big music festival that happens right in the courtyard of Studentenstadt, the apartment complex where I live. There is a main stage, with several other stages, tons of food, and of course beer. It lasts 4 days, Wednesday-Saturday, and is a really good time. You basically just sit around, eat drink, talk, and listen to music.

Flammkuchen. Basically a potato and bacon pizza

Entry bracelet to Stustaculum. We have to pay to enter despite the fact that we live here

Stustaculum and the main stage on the right. It was a popular event as you can see

Earlier in the year there was also a street festival on Ludwigstrasse, which stretched from Odeonsplatz to Münchner Freiheit, which is like 2.5km. So it was pretty big. There was music, food, beer, soccer, and all these organizations promoting their causes. It was pretty cool. I watched the soccer because it was super intense. 3 on 3 in a cage. It was awesome.

Soccer in the cage

A live stage

Bratwurst sandwich with mustard

French fries and ketchup. Side note, most of the time you get mayo with fries in Europe, and at first I refused to try it, but it is actually wicked good. Works well with salt, so I was actually disappointed that this place comes with ketchup. This kick of mine started in Brussels, which is known for its fries, where I ate the best fries of my life.

Steak, onion, and mustard sandwich. I went in on food at this event

So that is pretty much it for excitement in terms of general life in Munich lately. It has been a lot of fun. In early July I am taking a test that will give me a language certificate saying what level German I am, so that is cool.

The other day in class we did a beer tasting. We are taking a trip to Prague and you had to guess which beer was the Pilsner and which was the Bavarian beer. I got it right. I tasted the Bavarian beer and just thought "oh yea, that tastes like long nights and regrets" and immediately knew that was the Bavarian. I haven't really had Pilsners so that just tasted foreign.

Bavarian on the left, Pilsner on the right

The blind taste test

Also a couple weeks ago I came in my room, put down my groceries, stood back up and cranked my head of the corner of the door of my cabinet. It immediately started bleeding. A lot. It also stopped bleeding fast, which left me plenty of time to take a picture to freak some people out. It started bleeding so fast that I even had to clean blood up off my cabinets.

It looks bad but really wasn't. When you consider that I had time to stop and take a photo, you realize that it couldn't have been that bad.



Now time to write about some trips



No comments:

Post a Comment