Monday, September 22, 2014

A Tour of Munich

This morning I was starving (for the first time since I have been here). According to this scale I have, I have lost 16 pounds since I left for Munich. Of course all scales are different, but I have definitely lost a lot of weight. Instead of stress eating I stress starve myself. I do not get hungry when I am stressed, so I haven't been eating, and have lost a lot of weight. So this morning I was hungry which was nice and I pigged out in an attempt to gain back my weight. I went with 2 slices of toast with Nutella, 2 slices of bacon, two scrambled eggs with cheese, a banana, and a yogurt. There might have been more, but I don't remember.

We met at the JYM Office at noon and were supposed to buy our travel pass for the semester for about 150 Euros, but I forgot my student ID card, so I couldn't buy mine. That's ok though, because my day was about to get a lot better. We were broken up into teams of 5 and competed in a scavenger hunt around Munich. We were given 20 Euros, some questions and some directions and told to go explore Munich. Below are some of the highlights of the journey.

The thing that really stands out in my memory was climbing the 306 steps up in this tiny staircase to the top of the tower of St Peters Church which overlooks Marienplatz in Munich.

This is what I am talking about.

To those of you saying Jake get out of the way; Here you go:

Neues Rathaus (New Town Hall)

A Nice Building

Nice Building Again

Panoramic View from the other side of the tower. On the right is Cameron, who took the above photo of me

The other really cool things we encountered that stand out to me were these wicked old churches, and how beautiful they were on the inside. For instance, this is the inside of St Peter's Church. I am going to go back and buy my Memere a postcard. I think she would like to see it.


And this one at Asamkirche

The ceiling art

The front of the church

The confession box

The front door

This church was cool because it's in the middle of a shopping district. It is like shop, shop, shop, shop beautiful ancient church, shop, shop, shop, shop. These churches still have Mass multiple times a week so some of us are going to try to start going to them. We will try to go to a different church every week it sounds like. I am excited for that. While inside Asamkirche I prayed that god and my dad would look after me and everything in Munich will go fantastic. It was comforting. 

On a non religious note, we had to go explore some food places, and one of the places we had to stop was here. I guess this place is really famous for this fried dessert, which in reality is glorified fried dough for 2 Euros a pop. It was dough, that was fried, with sugar, sooo do the math. I bought one though because JYM was paying and it was good. 


We saw a lot of other really cool places, but I did not take many good photos. The whole thing took us about 2 hours and was a blast. I was really happy we got to do that.

On an unrelated note, here is what I have to pass everyday on the walk to JYM from the subway station. What is it? I don't know. Someone Google it and find out. Its in Konigsplatz so that's a start. I just think its cool.


Until next time


2 comments:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylaea_(Munich)

    ReplyDelete
  2. European architecture is so cool, isn't it? Everything is hundreds of years old, full of history, and was built by artists and craftsmen who actually cared about their work. The result is pretty amazing. I'm glad to hear that you are planning on going to church. I'm sure that will help you through any tough spots and I'm also sure that your Dad is watching out for you.

    I'm also a bit jealous of your tour of the BMW museum. I'm not sure why, but I've always wanted one of their cars. I didn't know that they started out making airplane engines.

    I'm glad to see you enjoying yourself and also eating. Take care of yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete