Monday, September 22, 2014

This Past Weekend

Hello everyone, sorry for not doing this as much as I would like to, but let's get to it.

Saturday was rather uneventful. I ended up not going to Oktoberfest because they said we would have a hard time getting in since it was opening day. So I said whatever I'll go another time when it is just a little less crowded. I ended up spending the day shopping. I did groceries for the first time in Munich and I was pleasantly surprised with how cheap the food was hear. I got basically all the food I will need for this week for 40 Euros. To prove to you all that I am actually somewhat capable of sustaining myself alone, here is a picture of the first dinner I cooked myself while abroad.


It was pretty simple. Just a pork chop seasoned with salt pepper garlic and the same with the green beans and then a salad. It was good though.

That is basically all I did Saturday. Shop cook and some paperwork, but it was still a nice day.

I woke up Sunday having no idea what I was going to do that day, so I texted some people. Some said Oktoberfest which I didn't really want to to. But my friend from Bates is studying in Freiburg, Germany and was in Munich and going to BMW World. So I met him and one oh his hometown friends at BMW World.


Above is BMW World. Below the tower in BMW Headquarters I think and the circle is the  BMW Museum


Billy and his friend could only stay about an hour so we walked around BMW World real quick and then walked over the the Olympic Park about 5 minutes away where the 1972 Olympic Games were. Billy and his friend then had to leave, and I went back to BMW World to explore more. BMW owns Rolls Royce and Mini so they had those cars there.

Shown Here (Rolls Royce Ghost)

And Here (Rolls Royce Phantom)

A really cool part about BMW World was that they let you sit in most of the cars (except the Rolls Royce of course). But either way it was still a really cool place and I had a lot of fun. 

I then crossed over the bridge and went over to the BMW Museum. The museum looked kind of small from the outside but was actually huge on the inside. It only cost me 6 Euros as a student to get in. They start off talking about their airplane business (BMW first made airplane engines, hence their logo) then motorcycles, then cars. They had a huge wall showing their development of motorcycles over time which was cool. I found I was more attracted to the older models than the newer ones. In my eyes they are so simple and had character.

Motorcycles

You then go through the museum looking at their old cars and their racing heritage. They also had their famous aircraft engines, such as those used in the famous WWII aircraft Junkers JU 52 transporter, Focke-Wulf Fw 190 fighter, and Me 262 jet fighter. In terms of cars, I liked the new ones and old ones just as much. The older ones had more class but the newer ones go so fast. Wouldn't be disappointed either way if I owned one.

When I finished the tour of the museum, it was about to rain, it was a long walk to the bus station, and I was tired so I went back to my room. They have a special exhibit until September 30 called "The Strive for Perfection" that costs 5 Euros. I will definitely be going back to check it out because its an exhibit dedicated to Rolls Royce cars only. I will post about that when I go!


No comments:

Post a Comment